GREEN LIVING TIPS FOR YOUR HOME
Live Green in Every Room in Your Home
Living green, building green and surrounding yourself with earth-friendly products minimizes
the negative impact you have on the natural world. By abiding by green living principles in your home, not only are you keeping your family from getting sick, you are also looking out for Mother Nature’s limited resources.
Here are some earth-friendly tips for your home:
- Install Energy Star appliancescertified by theEnvironmental Protection Agency.
- Use recycled, chlorine-free toilet paper, facial tissues and petrochemical-free cosmetics.
- Use baking soda, vinegar and tea tree oil to disinfect your bathroom as opposed to traditional cleaning products made with harsh chemicals.
- Line dry your clothes instead of drying them in the dryer.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth and only turn it back on to rinse.
- Keep your heat low. For every degree that you turn your thermostat below 70, you can save 320 pounds of greenhouse gases (natural gas heat) or 236 pounds of electric heat.
- Use compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) throughout your house to significantly reduce your electricity bill and the amount of energy used.
- Increase insulation in your attic, walls and flooring.
Growing native plants in your garden is much friendlier on the environment since they have evolved to survive in the climate in which you live. These plants do not need much help to grow and require less than half the amount of water to survive as compared to non-native plants.